Baby, it’s cold outside, and my thoughts go to people who aren’t lucky enough to have a place to call home and get warm. In our little community, there have been a few people with signs on the corner asking for help. While I am always a little hesitant to help people on the side of the road, I have given a few dollars here or there for them. I don’t love just handing over money though so I was thinking of a way I can help. I recently saw a story about Blessing Bags and I thought, how appropriate! All you have to do is fill a quart or gallon size bag with some essentials. You can make it gender specific or not. You can add a few quarters or dollars in as well. It’s super easy to keep in your car and hand out whenever needed.
So here’s what you can add to make your own Blessing Bags:
- Quart or gallon size bags
- Water bottle
- Deodorant (regular or travel size)
- Shampoo/conditioner (regular or travel size)
- Body wash or a bar of soap (regular or travel size)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (regular or travel size)
- Disposable razors
- Snacks: granola bars, cracker packs, fruit cups, apple sauce, cereal bars, trail mix, etc.
- Hand warmers
- Hand wipes or baby wipes
- Tissue pack
- Local store gift cards (gas, grocery)
When you have packed your bags, you can print out these You matter free printables and put it inside the bag. Obviously, you can add anything else you want to the bag or even write your own note. This is a perfect service project for a local Girl Scout, local MOMS Club, or even as a family project.
I’m off to make a few to keep in my car. Kids will help and that will be our little project this winter season.